varicose vein treatment in Chennai
Varicose vein is a condition caused by permanent damage to the veins of the thighs, leg or feet. The valves functioned to control the flow of blood back from the legs to the heart and lungs are damaged forever leaving them abnormal and dysfunctional. No proven natural or medicinal solutions to correct the damaged valves is presently available.
Why need varicose vein treatment ?
The appearance of large, swollen, dark bluish-green veins commonly seen on the legs or feet are called varicose veins. Symptoms of varicose veins when left untreated, could lead to complications such as leg ulcers, painful swelling, formation of blood clots called phlebitis and bleeding within the skin. Signs that indicate need for varicose vein treatment are:
- – Pain with swelling
- – Discolouration of skin
- – Pain increased on standing or sitting for long
- – Heavy feeling in the legs
- – Itchy or burning sensation around the abnormal vein
- – The affected area feels tender
Diagnosis of varicose vein in Chennai
Varicose veins can be diagnosed by a doctor with a physical examination. To determine the cause of the varicose vein, the use of Doppler (Duplex) ultrasound is needed. This is a painless test that assesses the valve function in the groin and also knows how much blood is flowing back into the legs.
Types of varicose vein treatment
- Conservative varicose vein treatment
- Use of compression stockings is often the first approach as a treatment for mild varicose veins. Wearing compression stockings throughout the day steadily squeezes leg muscles helping veins to move up blood more efficiently. Prescription-strength stockings are suggested according to the severity of the symptoms caused by varicose veins.
- Exercising, losing weight, wearing loose clothes, elevating the legs and avoiding standing or sitting position for long periods are recommended as self-care measures to relieve pain and prevent varicose veins from getting worse.
- Varicose vein surgeries – to permanently relieve the pain, discomfort and long term problems caused by the dysfunctional veins, surgeries are suggested. Employing the latest procedures as specialized treatment of damaged veins enable a return to an active lifestyle.
Non-invasive treatment for varicose veins – How it works ?
Varicose veins can be easily treated on an outpatient basis. Varied types of non-invasive treatment usually do not require a hospital stay or a long, uncomfortable recovery. Contrary to the traditional stripping of the vein, the best treatment for varicose vein involves using substances such as laser, radiofrequency or medical glue to close and collapse the vein. When the damaged vein is closed, the function of transporting deoxygenated blood back to the heart and lungs is taken over by the neighbouring healthy veins. The closed and dead veins naturally get absorbed by surrounding tissues and disappear over a period of weeks. The overall circulation improves as one way of the blood flow is restored with the removal of varicose veins in a safer way.
Methods of non-invasive varicose vein treatment
All non-invasive procedures available for treating varicose veins achieve the same goal, that is to destroy the damaged, dysfunctional veins. The substance used to collapse or close the vein may vary from one method to another.
Sclerotherapy – The sclerosant injected into the vein, scars the vein and causes it to collapse, forcing blood to reroute through healthy veins. Small varicose veins located close to the surface of the skin can be treated using this procedure to improve the appearance of the leg. Larger veins are treated using foam sclerotherapy where the sclerosant is converted into a foam before injecting.
Laser treatment – This is the latest technology to close off varicose veins and spider veins without incisions or use of needles. Strong bursts of light are sent onto the vein, making the vein slowly fade and disappear.
Radiofrequency Ablation – Radio waves transmitted through the vein wall by passing a wire catheter along the vein, heats up, thickens and contracts the vein wall that disappears later. Deeper veins of the leg are best treated with this procedure but the disappearance of the vein may take some time.
Endo venous Laser Ablation – Uses laser energy transmitted through a Laser fibre inserted into the catheter, moved to the necessary location, causing the vessel to close by heat and disappear over time. This procedure is the preferred treatment for larger varicose veins.
Vena seal – The most recent innovation in the treatment of varicose veins is to physically seal and close the main defective vein with the use of medical glue known as vena seal. Vena seal does not require a regional nerve block or anaesthesia. The biggest advantage is that, there is no post-treatment pain medication or uncomfortable compression stockings required.
Which procedure may be best treatment for varicose veins ?
To decide which procedure is the best choice, several factors will have to be weighed in making that decision. Some of the important factors include:
- – Age and overall health condition
- – Severity of varicose veins
- – Symptoms causing distress
- – Efficiency of recovery with specific procedures
- – Goals and opinions about the look and feel
- – Doctor’s expectation on the prognosis of the condition
Varicose vein specialist in Chennai
Concern about getting the right diagnosis and treatment for the varicose vein is right and understood. Vein health is incredibly important for overall wellbeing and having an experienced doctor can be the relief. Results of the varicose vein treatment procedure depend largely on the person performing the leg vein treatment. Doctor specialised in varicose vein treatment offers a comprehensive treatment program to treat varicose veins which includes non-surgical laser treatment techniques. Advances that give safer, less invasive treatments for leg veins are best employed by the vein specialist in Chennai.
Advantages of varicose vein treatment in Chennai
- – Painless and minimally invasive
- – Out-patient procedure
- – No hospitalisation
- – Return to normal activities within a day or two after the procedure.
- – High success rates
- – Qualified vein specialists
- – Affordable cost
- – Improve the appearance of the skin on the legs or feet.
- – Leaves no signs of scarring or bruising
- – No risks of infection or complications.